Re: s6 as a systemd alternative

From: Jean Louis <bugs_at_gnu.support>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 18:17:29 +0300

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 04:02:47PM +0200, Istvan Szukacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a crazy question about s6. Would it be possible to make systemd
> compatible? This question might sound stupid at first but here is the
> reasoning:
>
> - we have services with systemd service files already
> (/etc/systemd/system/*.service, etc.)
> - the previous alternatives all failed to gain traction because there was
> too much effort to change systems around to use them (
> https://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-init-systems/) and the linux platform is
> very fragmented
> - there is already too much effort went into systemd that would be hard to
> duplicate
>
> Questions:
>
> - is there anybody interested in such project?
> - is this feasible to do?

I am user of s6 for reason of simplicity and to avoid trouble of
systemd.

While not being developer, maybe it could be possible to have s6 run
systemd as a service and systemd to run s6 as a service, with
modifications, but I think, it will be better to hit oneself with hard
rock to the head, it would be more pleasure.

Jean