Re: s6-rc setup

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 16:16:56 +0100

On 25/02/2016 16:03, Jan Olszak wrote:
> One of the reasons I think I need s6-rc is a race between starting logger
> and starting the services that need logging. I need to be sure I get every
> log produced and the example logging service from s6 looks awesome.
> Does the logging from s6-linux-init setup in stage1 work the same way as
> the example from s6? Does it use s6-log?

  Yes, s6-linux-init is a direct implementation of the stage 1 init and log
tricks described in http://skarnet.org/software/s6/s6-svscan-1.html

  The catch-all logger uses s6-log, but you can change its run script if you
want to use something else.

> Do I need to have a separate logging service if one was already created in
> stage1?

  Strictly speaking, you don't need to, because the catch-all logger, by
definition, will catch everything. However, I wouldn't recommend this setup:
the catch-all logger writes into a tmpfs (it has no choice: no writable
filesystem is mounted by the time it starts), so you have to choose between
eating a lot of RAM or having potentially quick rotations. RAM is not a good
place to store logs.

  I recommend having a dedicated logger for every service that justifies one,
i.e. every service that writes a non-negligible amount of logs.
  That in addition to a syslogd service, if you have daemons that log through
syslog().

--
  Laurent