Re: s6-rc setup

From: Jan Olszak <jan.olszak_at_vestiacom.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 16:03:37 +0100

> So far I've done as little as possible in inittab (syslog, getty, mounts)
>> + s6-svscan starts all other stuff.
>>

> You can run your gettys and syslogd under s6 too. :)

One of the reasons I think I need s6-rc is a race between starting logger
and starting the services that need logging. I need to be sure I get every
log produced and the example logging service from s6 looks awesome.
Does the logging from s6-linux-init setup in stage1 work the same way as
the example from s6? Does it use s6-log?
Do I need to have a separate logging service if one was already created in
stage1?

> s6-svscan doesn't run with PID 1. It's started in inittab.
>>

> This doesn't change anything, s6-rc will work with that setup too.

Awesome

> So can I setup s6-rc + initd and later use s6-linux-init? Would that add
>> any work compared to doing both at the same time?
>>

> No, those are completely independent steps. However, if you intend
> to replace sysvinit at some point, you will need to migrate the services
> that are currently supervised by it into services supervised by s6
> (and possibly managed by s6-rc).

This simplifies my work a lot, thanks!