External health Check Process

From: Oliver Schad <oliver.schad_at_automatic-server.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 14:28:29 +0200

Hi everybody,

we have cases, where processes are still there, but doesn't work
anymore. This is a common problem with runtime environments like java
or golang, where the memory management might have problems and internal
routines doesn't work anymore. That is really a common problem in that
area (heap too small, too frequently garbage collection, ...)

I know you can model a service in s6, which watches another service and
kills it, so in fact the problem is solved outside of s6. But I wanted
to ask to develop a feature to get a simple way to model that within s6.
Usually it's good enough to call a external command with a timeout and
watches exit code.

Yes, that means polling but in a datacenter is a polling health check
not a big energy problem.

Is that something, you can imagine in the future, supporting an
external health check?

Best Regards
Oli

--