Re: Readiness notification exemplars

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 17:13:06 +0000

>There are pros and cons, but you are arguing for parsing stdout for a
>text message and/or using pidfiles (written to an fd).

  I'm arguing for none of these things.
  I'm arguing for daemons to write a newline to a fd of their choice,
which is hardly anything difficult. And hardly anything difficult for
a supervisor to implement (if you're going to say that it's "parsing
stdout", then okay, but the parser fits in 20 lines of C). The fact
that existing daemon behaviours can be used to trigger the mechanism
without modification is a nice bonus that weighted in favor of that
choice, but was hardly the only factor.

>> I still don't think it would be a good idea.
>It might not be. I'm still looking for good reasons why it wouldn't be.

  Well I just gave you a full e-mail of reasons why, if they're not good
enough for you, I doubt anything will convince you. :P

--
  Laurent