Re: The "Unix Philosophy 2020" document

From: Alex Suykov <alex.suykov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 16:04:53 +0200

Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 01:57:25PM +1100, eric vidal wrote:

> Well, for me, cgroups is clearly a lack to s6. Using it for every
> process like systemd do have no sense, but in some case it can be
> useful to protect e.g an "over-eat" allocation memory by a program
> (in particular over a server).

Minor note on this. Resource limiting with cgroups does not require
any explicit support from s6, or any external tools for that matter.
Literally just `echo $$ > $cg/cgroup.procs` in the startup script
is enough, assuming the group has been created (mkdir) and the limits
have been set (bunch of echo's).

The whole thing regarding cgroups in systemd is really about a very
different problem: supervising broken services that exit early and
leave orphaned children behind.

If you only want to implement cgroup-based resource limiting, it can
be done with current s6 just fine. Also with runit, bare sysvinit,
busybox init and pretty much anything else than can run shell scripts.
Even suckless tools probably.