Re: runit patches to fix compiler warnings on RHEL 7

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 16:06:04 -0500

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:40:14 -0600
"J. Lewis Muir" <jlmuir_at_imca-cat.org> wrote:

> On 12/04, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> > Jan Braun:
> >
> > > 2) runit has manpages. s6 has HTML. :(
> > >
> > Daniel J. Bernstein had something to say on that subject, two
> > decades ago. See the "Notes" section of
> > http://cr.yp.to/slashdoc.html .
> >
> > I generate both manual pages and HTML from a common DocBook XML
> > master in the nosh toolset. And the DocBook XML is itself readable
> > directly with a WWW browser.
> > http://jdebp.uk./Softwares/nosh/guide/commands/setuidgid-fromenv.xml
> > is a copy of one such DocBook XML master, for example. It's on the
> > WWW, and the packages also install it locally, for off-line
> > reading.
>
> I still like having man pages. It's often just easier to type "man
> <name>" than to find the local (or remote) HTML document and open it
> in a web browser.

I never thought about man pages until a few days ago I did some
experiments with execline and had a quick question about syntax. I did
man execlineb and of course got "no entry". So I fired up a browser,
did a locate command, and put a path in my browser.

The browser is vastly superior for learning all about
unfamiliar or moderately familiar software, but for the quick lookup of
something you primarily know about, there's no substitute for a quick
"man execlineb".

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2019 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21