Re: race condition in killall

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 19:26:47 +0000

>However, both sysvinit's and BusyBox's kilall5 make a kill(-1,
>SIGSTOP) call before going through the PID list and selectively
>sending the requested signal (and I guess Linux does not deliver
>SIGSTOP to the process that contains the call, or it would be
>pointless), and make a kill(-1, SIGCONT) call when they are done, so
>I'm not sure if there's actually a race condition.

Right, I failed to mention that, sorry. It is true that killall5
doesn't have a real race condition... because it stops the world
before killing a set of processes, and restarts the world afterwards.
This is clearly not something I want to use on systems I manage, even
if it technically accomplishes its goal.

--
Laurent