Is s6/s6-rc ready to be the ubiquitous init?

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 01:24:53 -0500

Hi all,

Months ago IBM bought Redhat, and IBM might not want to throw a million
a year at a dev group devoted to keeping the systemd leaky boat afloat.
Meanwhile, just today another major systemd snafu emerged.

If IBM bails on systemd, is s6/s6-rc ready to take its place? I mean we
all know it's ready technically, and is well maintained, but is it ready
politically, with help for distro packagers? Perhaps some documentation
on best practices and making it easy to install s6/s6-rc.

We could soon have a rare opportunity for a Linux-wide init change. I'd
hate to see systemd replaced by more snake oil.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust