Re: Log rotation issue with runit

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 08:07:07 -0500

On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 09:36:27 +0000
Dmitry Bogatov <KAction_at_debian.org> wrote:

> [2018-12-26 00:05] Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
> > part text/plain 1664
> > On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 13:39:17 +0000
> > Dmitry Bogatov <KAction_at_debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I am Debian maintainer of `runit' supervision suite. Recently, I
> > > received bug report [^1] about stray .u logfiles. After some
> > > investigation I found code, that caused issue, but it seems that
> > > it was written with some purpose, yet I fail to understand that
> > > purpose.
> > >
> > > Author Gerrit Pape directed me here. Any clarification would be
> > > welcome! Please keep bug in thread.
> > >
> > > [^1] https://bugs.debian.org/916230
> > [...]
> >
> > This seems to be an intermittent problem (not reproducible at will),
> > and very hard to reproduce by anyone but the bug reporter. If the
> > preceding sentence is true, it's possible it will never be solved.
> > In such a situation, a workaround becomes a legitimate tactic.
>
> No, it is reproducible. See end of bug thread.

Hi Dmitry,

Just so we're all on the same page, do you mean the end of
https://bugs.debian.org/916230 ? Could you please provide a message
number? I briefly looked over https://bugs.debian.org/916230, paying
particular attention to the later half, and could see no reproduction
sequence articulated. But sometimes I miss things.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2018 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21