Re: Log rotation issue with runit

From: Alex Efros <powerman_at_powerman.name>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 16:57:55 +0200

Hi!

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 01:39:17PM +0000, Dmitry Bogatov wrote:
> Recently, I received bug report [^1] about stray .u logfiles. After
> some investigation I found code, that caused issue, but it seems that it
> was written with some purpose, yet I fail to understand that purpose.
>
> [^1] https://bugs.debian.org/916230

.u files are created after svlogd crash (actually, when svlogd starts
again after crash). I don't think I've ever seen actual crash of svlogd,
so usually it means system was rebooted because of kernel OOPS or pressing
reset button or power loss or someone has killed svlogd with SIGKILL.

I believe this isn't a bug, but this behaviour isn't documented in svlogd
man page. To me it looks useful to be able to detect such crash-reboots
and what happens just before by looking for/in .u files.

--
			WBR, Alex.