Re: s6-svscanboot, how to exit?

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 02:00:17 -0400

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 18:53:44 +0300
Jean Louis <bugs_at_gnu.support> wrote:

> Hello Jonathan,
>
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 02:47:39PM +0100, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
> wrote:
> > > Type=forking
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > StandardOutput=tty
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > RemainAfterExit=yes
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > SysVStartPriority=99
> >
> > No.
>
> I know I know, I did not read the manuals on
> systemd.

And why should you? You're using daemontools to escape as many
processes as possible out of systemd's clutches, and there's nothing
wrong with copying off stackexchange and letting the list know what
worked. You're not expected to be a systemd expert.

> > You're a long-time daemontools user, you say.
> > Why on Earth do you think that Type=forking is
> > right?
>
> Because I don't think, I copied and it works, if
> you did not tell me know, it would remain so for
> years probably. I know I should be more
> responsible, but I have placed before daemontools
> in /etc/inittab and just forgot about it, I guess
> that is wanted effect.

You don't really need to apologize. You apparently weren't completely
correct, and it worked well enough to make it seem correct. And some
guy comes on, gives you four "no"s without reasons, imply that you're
falsely bragging about being a daemontools user, and then gives you one
of those "why on earth" type things.

Louis, ignore the guy. His motivation obviously isn't to help. And if
he again asks "why on earth did you think "Type=forking" is right?",
just tell him that for all you knew, that meant it's the type of
software that systemd must fork because it doesn't fork itself. That's
just as plausible.

And when he asks...

> > Why on Earth do you think that good daemons fork
> > and exit parent?

the answer is that you didn't.

> I don't think really, and I tried the one-shot
> method too, but that was not the problem that I
> was not exiting.
>
> This one I changed
>
> RemainAfterExit=no
>
> and now after systemd "start" it exits.
>
> > Why on Earth do you think that svscan -- any
> > svscan, from daemontools-encore svscan to
> > s6-svscan -- forks and exits parent? Or needs a
> > TTY?
>
> You are right, I did not check enough.

I'm sure you *DIDN'T* think that, and you really don't owe this guy an
explanation, because he's sure not here to help you.

Laurent's right. Go on a systemd list or IRC, tell them you need to
spawn daemontools, tell them daemontools does not put itself in the
background, and that you want it restarted if it stops. They'll tell
you what to do. By the way, you might have to tell it to put /command
on the $PATH. If you need that and you cannot get systemd to handle it,
I'll give you a shellscript to get it done.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2017 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz