Re: Runit questions

From: Andy Mender <andymenderunix_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 09:40:35 +0200

Dear colleagues,

I verified my svlogd logging problems on Debian/Devuan and it turned out
that the error
I was getting was non-specific and did not really interfere with either
daemon supervision
by runsv or generating logs via svlogd. Also, the error appears on my
Gentoo boxen alike.
Below, an example snippet:
"runsvdir: log: 2: exec 2: ./run not found: exec 3: not found"
Curiously, ./log/run exists and gets executed, in addition to "exec" being
built in the Shell
and also being executed. Not sure what's going on...

Secondly, what is really the default service directory per upstream -
/service, /var/service,
/etc/service or another directory? The official docs online mention
/service in the sv(8)
manpage, but Void Linux uses /var/service and Debian uses /etc/service. The
sv(8)
manpage for Debian mentions /etc/service, but there are no dates anywhere
to confirm
when was this changed. What it means in practice is that when doing "sv
<command>
service", if sv tries to look for the service dir in the wrong main
directory, it will return
an error: "service directory does not exist". This can be circumvented by
calling the
service dir via sv directly, as in "sv <command> /path/to/service/".
However, I would like
to know what's the current "vanilla" upstream to help the Devuan people
better.

Other than that I think runit is great and the more I learn about it, the
more I feel it can be
used as the go-to supervision suite for Unices :).

Best regards,
Andrzej