Re: Linuxisms in s6

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 13:18:15 +0200

  I always check that s6 releases (as well as s6's dependencies) build
out-of-the-box on several systems; and that includes FreeBSD, despite it
being hell to port to. So if you have an issue with building s6, please
submit a precise bug-report.

> For my own init system I'm still not sure if the init process should
> track services and their dependencies at all or just processes and
> keep the concept of services and dependencies in a service management
> process instead of the init process.

  I strongly recommend writing your service manager as a different process.
You don't need it to boot your machine, and anything that's not strictly
needed to boot shouldn't be running in process 1.

--
  Laurent