Re: C API for service management

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 20:34:00 +0100

On 19/01/2016 18:44, Jan Olszak wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm developing a daemon that will:
> - start/stop
> - send signals
> - check status
> of some services.
>
> This can be done via s6-svc or s6-svstat but:
> 1. Can I use the underlying calls from libs6?
> 2. Is this interface likely to change?

  If you mean send commands to s6-supervise via s6_svc_writectl(),
and read the status file via s6_svstatus_read(), then yes, you can use
those calls, and no, it's probably not going to change.

  The contents of a s6_svstatus_t structure, however, may be expanded in
the future. I think you can rely on backwards compatibility, i.e. all
the current fields will remain there with the same meaning; but do not
assume that they are no other fields.

--
  Laurent