Re: Holidays Brainstorming: instanced supervision

From: Joan Picanyol i Puig <lists-supervision_at_biaix.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 13:22:43 +0100

* Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> [20151226 12:33]:
> In the past few years, there have been some bits and pieces of
> discussion about "instanced services", i.e. some kind of supervised
> service that would be able to create different instances of the
> process at will. But it never got very detailed.
>
> I'd like to ask you: if you feel that instanced services are
> useful, what functionality would you like to see ? Concretely,
> practically, what do you want to be able to do ?
>
> Please stay away from mechanism and implementation details;
> I'm just trying to get a very high-level, conceptual feel for it
> at the moment - "what", as opposed to "how".

FWIW "what" I've needed when deploying "multiple instances of a service"
has always been diferent configuration for the same binaries.

"How" I have usually done it has been via env/ symlinks (storing in env/
anything from variables for envdir or application-specific configuration
files).

qvb
--
pica