RE: Some suggestions about s6 and s6-rc

From: James Powell <james4591_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 05:52:29 -0700

I don't see it, rc_parallel, as entirely broken, that is if you follow proper scripting techniques and create the proper dependency prestarts. However, against the alternative of systemd, OpenRC is what sysvinit should have been to some degree, and is a more valid and viable choice, and at least OpenRC can be further extended by choice.

I've often wondered if services started via OpenRC could be ran wrapped to s6, such as instead of scripting to start the daemon normally via direct execution, you start it wrapped via OpenRC by executing the s6 run script and stopped by the finish script within the OpenRC script acting as a manager layer. It wouldn't be as clean as running exclusively in s6, but it would allow for some level of supervision of the service. Of course this is just me doing some free thinking as always, and really adding supervision into OpenRC could be done later on or via scripting.

-Jim