Re: s6: something like runit's ./check script

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:51:01 -0700

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Buck Evan <buck_at_yelp.com> wrote:
> My proposal was to read a <servicedir>/start-timeout file for this purpose.
>
> It seems like seq | xargs would do what you need.
> I suppose s6 doesn't want to depend on those.

seq | xargs would work too. s6 wouldn't depend on those, the service
in question would. That said, I'd still rather use s6-maximumtime
since that decouples the timeout from the test timing. That does give
your service a dependency on s6-portable-utils (as Laurent noted) but
that's only if you want timeouts and that isn't exactly a terrible
burdon since some of the stuff in there is pretty handy.

Regardless though, this is all policy, and policy (in my mind) belongs
to the service, not the supervisor. The ./run mechanism provides
enough flexability to handle embedding `sv check' mechanisms into the
service itself, and leaves the supervisor free to only have to be good
at one thing (managing services)

Cheers!

--
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to
man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees