Re: s6: something like runit's ./check script

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 15:23:34 -0700

On Sep 7, 2015 2:53 PM, "Buck Evan" <buck_at_yelp.com> wrote:

> Colin:
>
> Can we have a look at the script you're referring to?
>
> Are you making a point in favor of explicit ./check support in s6, or
against, or something else? I can't quite tell.

> --phone is hard.

Sorry! Explicit ./check-like behavior baked in to the ./run of the service
that needs checking as a way of translating from ./check polling into s6
notification. Basically Laurent's example though in my specific case the
functionality test is directly in the run script instead of in a support
script since the test is super simple.

In more general terms, I don't think s6 needs an `sv check' style test
added to it. Running those tests in a run script and translating the
results into notifications is a lot more powerful, and it simplifies the
between-service api.

I'll post the script when I'm near my computer, phone here too.

Cheers!