Re: s6 and friends 2.0

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 14:29:03 +0100

  On 28/12/2014 12:56, Casper Ti. Vector wrote:
> Seconded. This can help a lot with sandboxed building. For example,
> Gentoo Portage often make use of ${DESTDIR} in the install phase:
> files are "install"ed to /var/tmp/portage/blah/blah/ and then merged
> into ${EPREFIX} (which usually means `/'), and do some Gentoo-specific
> post-processing (inter-package file collision checking, stripping,
> documentation compression, etc., the degree of which can be fine-tuned).
> So this feature will be *practically* handy :)

  ${DESTDIR} is different, it's just for staging. The skarnet.org build
process supports DESTDIR, and Portage should have no problem there: leave
--prefix alone, use "make install DESTDIR=/var/tmp/portage/blah/blah",
done.

  --prefix should only be set if the final installation needs to be done
in another filesystem tree. As I said in the skaware mailing-list, this
only means that --includedir and --libdir should also be set if you don't
want the extra /usr. But it does exactly what ./configure --help says it
does. (And if it doesn't, it's a bug and I'll fix it.)

> And my apology to harish badrinath for replying twice. I am spoiled by
> the `Reply-To' header in other mail lists and have not get used to check
(...)
> Perhaps Laurent can add this config if appropriate?

  Nope, this is called Reply-To munging and is a bad thing. The other
mailing-lists are misguided. See http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html
and http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

  You can configure your MUA, Mutt, to identify this list as a mailing-list
and use the "reply to list" function. ('l', IIRC.) You can also
configure it to support the Mail-Followup-To header.

--
  Laurent