Re: Missing files /etc/init.d/rcS and rmnologin

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 11:54:02 -0500

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:26:07 -0800
Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Steve Litt
> <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I installed runit according to the instructions at
> > http://smarden.org/runit/install.html and
> > http://smarden.org/runit/replaceinit.html . However, when I booted
> > with init=/sbin/runit-init, I got error messages from
> > the /etc/runit/1 script:
> >
> > Line 6 /etc/init.d/rcS No such file or directory
> >
> > Line 7 /etc/init.d/rmnologin No such file or directory
> >
> > It got to stage 2, according to the output, but Ctrl+5 produced no
> > login prompt, so I'm assuming tty5 didn't run properly.
> >

> Both of those are part of a SysV Init installation. Do you still have
> your System V Init scripts installed?

Thanks Avery,

First of all, I eventually overcame these problems, so this email is
pretty much confirmation of what you wrote.

As far as rmnologin and rcS and sysvinit files, I kinda-sorta have my
sysvinit scripts installed, but this was actually Manjaro tweaked to
replace systemd with sysvinit->OpenRC, and did not have either of these
files. Via web research, I eventually made rmnologon remove
file /etc/nologon, and made /etc/rcS do nothing, getting rid of both
error messages.

> And yes, tty5 didn't load up
> properly.

I had a lot more problems than what I thought. The installation guide
provided run script used getty, but my computer had agetty, not getty.
Once I debugged my run script, cleared everything out of the directory
and then re-linked it, I could run it with runsv. At that point, it
brought up tty5 when I booted with init=/sbin/runit-init.

I also had problems when interfacing between runit and OpenRC because I
forgot to remove the daemontools service from OpenRC, so my daemontools
and runit were colliding and preventing a login terminal on tty5. When
I fixed that, the runit->OpenRC boot seemed to work perfectly, booted
from Grub prompt to lightdm in 15 seconds, and shut down from LXDE to
power off in 6 seconds. Nice!

> > Before I start putting diagnostic prints all over the place, could
> > somebody please tell me whether /etc/init.d/rcS
> > and /etc/init.d/rmnologin are meant to be installed by runit, and if
> > not, where would I get them?
> >

> They are not a part of runit (see above). I'm wondering if you read
> the instructions for migrating off of SysV Init.

Thanks Avery. I read it several times (if you mean
http://smarden.org/runit/replaceinit.html). There was no mention of
those specific files. It would probably be a great addition to the docs
to state that these files are sysvinit and not runit, and maybe even
provide skeleton files if they don't exist.

> The rcS file contains the single-user startup script. rmnologin
> removes the nologin setting so the system can come up multi-user -
> I'm a little foggy-headed and hurried this morning but I believe it's
> a file and it simply does a "rm nologin".

Exactly: it deletes /etc/nologin so the boot can procede.

By the way, this distro was installed using the Manjaro 8.11 64 bit
OpenRC ISO. Basically, sysvinit called OpenRC using calls in inittab.
Following the instructions at
http://smarden.org/runit/replaceinit.html#sysv, I got it to boot to
tty5 after LOTS AND LOTS of experimentation. Then, by putting the
following calls in /etc/runit/1, I got it to invoke OpenRC:

/sbin/openrc sysinit
/sbin/openrc boot
/sbin/openrc default

So now I've removed both systemd and sysvinit from the equation. My
next task is to start moving stuff from openrc's sysinit and boot
to /etc/runit/1 (and I don't know how to do this yet), and then start
switching services from openrc's default to linked /service
subdirectories (you know what I mean).

Runit is the first understandable init system I've ever seen. Thanks
for your help.

SteveT

Steve Litt * http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training * Human Performance