runit maintenance / development

From: Gerrit Pape <pape_at_smarden.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:02:28 +0000

Hi Jim,

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:21:55PM +0000, James Powell wrote:
> 5. And lastly, we've succeeded in several test phases to determine the
> longevity of a new init system, and have determined Runit passes all
> our current criteria, and now we need help redeploying it out for
> other distributions.

Nice! I'd like to see runit as an alternative init system in Debian,
but there're hurdles, such as sysvinit backward compatibility I actually
don't want to see in runit.

> The only question I have left is for Gerrit Pape and that is if Runit
> is still under any level of development upstream even if maintenance
> only, and are there any outstanding issues still in need of attention.

I'm around and actively using runit on many machines. We have some
known minor bugs since years, but there's currently nothing that really
needs to be fixed or changed.

That said, I think about further developing runit every here and then.
The still existing interest in this project actually feels motivating.

Regards, Gerrit.