RE: initialization vs supervision

From: James Powell <james4591_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:45:05 +0000

One of the things I've been doing with Runit on my end is moving more and more hopefully into Stage-2 for supervisory purposes.

Now granted some things are not able to be supervised such as udev on my end. But honestly, does udev really require supervision? That's not an easy question to answer, but it does propose the idea that sometimes there are one-shot daemons that do not need supervision, they need to be ran, and just left alone. While the pause applet I use keeps a few daemons in a holding state, there are sometimes I have to wonder if everything requires supervision, and the answer is no.

While I can move a lot of services into supervisory mode in Stage 2, there are benefits of the stage-1 one-shot. Less to supervise, less that needs to be rerouted through a holding state, and more focus on true services.

The Runit script I'm going to publish soon, when I get my new updated script set revised and redrafted, is going to move a lot more into stage-2, but ironically, it's very little as most things were already moved into Stage-2 a while ago.

Stage-1's purpose is basically to mount file systems, load drivers, check the file system, and load the disks. Now first off, yes, I could move udev into stage-2, but there-in lies an issue, what would then require a redrafting of many service scripts to check for udev, then load? Udev in my opinion is a one-shot daemon. It loads devices and it settles, and that's it. DBus already has many services check for it. If we expand this it only increases the complexity factor, so that's why things get moved around from stage-2 to stage-1, unless otherwise shown to be necessary.

Stage-2's purpose should monitor and supervise all other services, in my opinion, log output as needed, and load and check daemons and dependencies as needed.