Re: service directory on NFS-mounted filesystem

From: Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins_at_finestructure.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:52:59 -0700

On Mon, Sep 16 2013, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins_at_finestructure.net> wrote:
> I'm mostly just curious about the technical considerations of storing
> named pipes on NFS, assuming they are still only being used on a single
> machine.

Just FYI, from fifo(7):

       A FIFO special file (a named pipe) is similar to a pipe, except
       that it is accessed as part of the file system. It can be opened
       by multiple processes for reading or writing. When processes are
       exchanging data via the FIFO, the kernel passes all data inter‐
       nally without writing it to the file system. Thus, the FIFO spe‐
       cial file has no contents on the file system; the file system
       entry merely serves as a reference point so that processes can
       access the pipe using a name in the file system.

So I think there's no problem storing the fifos on NFS, which seems to
jive with my experience thus far.

jamie.