Re: s6-svscan can't find shared libraries

From: Brett Neumeier <bneumeier_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:58:36 -0600

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019, 10:49 J. Lewis Muir <jlmuir_at_imca-cat.org> wrote:

> I thought of another scenario: you don't have root on a machine, and
> you want to install software in your home directory. Obviously,
> /etc/ld.so.conf won't work for this case.

Yes, and this kind of situation is exactly why there are facilities like
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and RPATH and RUNPATH and LD_PRELOAD available -- because
there are lots and lots of different scenarios you might encounter, and
having flexible options ensures that there is at least *something* you can
do that isn't awful.

For software in my home directory, I generally set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
-- setting both those variables seems nicely symmetrical.

I occasionally set RPATH or RUNPATH as well, in other situations. As long
as you're making informed decisions, and you are making the decisions for
yourself rather than trying to impose policy on other people, there are no
bad options.