Re: Booting, s6-rc services and controlling terminal

From: Guillermo <gdiazhartusch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 11:06:20 -0300

On a side note:

> Consider a machine with an s6-linux-init-maker-style setup, that also
> uses s6-rc in the stage2 and stage2_finish scripts. Longruns managed
> by s6-rc without a 'producer-for' file in their definition directory
> have their stdout and stderr redirected to the catch-all logger, and
> so do oneshots via the s6rc-oneshot-runner service. So if one wants to
> have a service output to the console instead (e.g. an early one in the
> boot process), its definition would have to do explicit redirections
> to /dev/console.

I think I made a mistake in that description. The s6rc-oneshot-runner
service is an s6-ipcserverd process that spawns s6-sudod processes.
And the program executed by s6-sudod gets its stdout and stderr from
the corresponding s6-sudoc process by default. Therefore, the output
of s6-rc oneshots wouldn't go to s6-svscan's stdout / stderr, but to
those of whoever made the 's6-rc change' call. When the machine is
booting or shutting down, that would be the stage2 or stage2_finish
script, respectively, which, depending on the setup, may or may not
have their output redirected to the catch-all logger. So for oneshots,
explicit redirections in their service definition might not be needed
after all...

G.