Re: Bug in ucspilogd v2.2.0.0

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 11:13:49 -0700

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org> wrote:
> On 09/08/2015 19:12, Colin Booth wrote:
>>
>> I haven't experimented with it yet, but I think the messages from
>> long-running logger processes are null-separated, just not the last
>> line. I'll take a look later today when I have time.
>

> Ah, that's easy enough to fix. Please try with the latest s6 git
> and tell me if it works for you.
>
> --
> Laurent

Ok, I was wrong. I set up a little netcat /dev/log reader and there's
no separator at all between messages. At least not one that made it to
netcat. It also looks like the new logger stops reading after the
first \0, and strips all newlines.

The ucspilogd fix works for the single message case which should be
good enough for handling script output. Using logger as a cheap stdout
syslog injector in supervised services seems like a no-go for now, at
least when ucspilogd is handling reception. I'll have to take a look
at how rsyslog decides what the message end is since my test service
logged correctly when rsyslog was pulling on /dev/log.

Cheers!
--
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to
man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees