Re: Very basic question, regarding redirects

From: Gorka Lertxundi <glertxundi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 15:54:45 +0200

> On 11/05/2015 13:52, Scott Mebberson wrote:
>
>> I'm working on an addition to the s6-overlay project. I want to make it
>> super easy to create environment variables within a Docker container.
>>

> IIRC, /var/run/s6/container_environment is meant to hold the variables
> that the container is actually started with; outside interaction with
> the container may rely on that (i.e. commands started with "with-contenv"
> may not work correctly if that environment has been modified). I'm not
> sure it's safe to do that.

Yes, it's safe. Every time "with-contenv" is invoked, current env is
dropped and the new one loaded with the current env file/vars:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/just-containers/s6-overlay/master/builder/overlay-rootfs/usr/bin/with-contenv
.

> But if that's what you want, you can just type
>
> redirfd -w 1 /var/run/s6/container_environment/env_var_name
> s6-echo -- env_var_value

If you don't want newlines just do: "s6-echo -n -- env_var_value".

> and you're done. I'm not sure it justifies a specific script to
> do that, unless you want to add some more processing.
>
> Be aware that "with-contenv" reads the environment variables
> verbatim from the files, so you have to manually strip newlines and
> otherwise sanitize env_var_value before storing it.
>

> tr "a-z" "A-Z"
>>

> You can't do that in the overlay, because there's no guarantee
> that every image will have a "tr" binary. That's the reason why
> everything in the overlay is written in execline and uses
> s6-* binaries: no external dependencies at all, so it works with
> every possible image.

Yeah, s6-overlay works in all docker images (at least the ones we tested)
because it uses just binaries present in "execline", "s6" or
"s6-portable-utils".